Skip directly to content
  • Harry Says “Just get on my wheel and you will be alright!”
  • Harry Says “Put in an extra loop down the coast road”
  • Harry Says “Ride your bike!”
  • Harry Says “Just a steady 2 to 3 hours”

NOTICE: User accounts and passwords

Due to a recent website update, you may experience issues logging into your user account. If you do, please try resetting your password

Website improvements are on the way. Please stay calm and patient. smiley

Captains Big Day Out! - Sun, 13/04/2014

Matt Middleton - The Captain's picture
on Fri, 04/04/2014 - 18:01
Forums: 
Captains Big Day Out! - Sun, 13/04/2014

Rider ability: 
Estimated Distance: 
90-100 mile

We are aiming to do the Trough, but we are going to head to Chipping or Dunsop Bridge first and then take it from there. If the weather or roads look shite, we will then head over towards Mellor instead for a 70+ mile ride.  If all goes to plan, these are the details - 

• Leave @ 9.15am
  • Arrive at Dunsop Bridge Cafe for 11.30ish 
  • 45min break
  • Then over the Trough of Bowland
  • Stop at Scorton shop (not cafe)
  • Split the groups A & B if needed
  • Then head down the A6 if a few tried legs, if not through Wood Plumpton.
  • Then A59 Preston
  • Cobble Bridge and towards Midge Hall, Croston etc or A59 if a few tried legs.

What you need - 

1. Money £10 plus
  2. 2 x Bottles with fuel in, not just water! Extra hydro tablets or sachets as well.
  3. Energy Bars & Gels 
  4. 2 x Inner Tubes, tyre levers etc.
  5. Phone

The Race, A Group riders will do most on the work on rotation. Now I need communication on this ride for it to work!! Feel tried shout, getting dropped shout, puncture shout!!!! At the bottom of each climb I will ride up with the slowest rider.  90-100 mile is a long way, eat and drink correctly and you will make it!  

Ride Date: 
Sun, 13/04/2014

Rick'Thepower'Taylor's picture

How many are out on this ride ?

modevrs130's picture

Looking forward to this ride but with the liverpool match kicking off at 1-30 i think it might effect the number of riders doing it.As a liverpool fan i am quite happy to do the full ride as i need to grow back my finger nails after last sundays match....John Lynch

D N A's picture

Getting fed up of Liverpool being awarded penaltys lol ;)

I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me. (Wreck-It Ralph, 2012)

wilko's picture

Away in Scotland for next two weeks so missing big day out and hell of lancs. Will have to make do with some Scottish hills. Enjoy, might be back for great dun fell
stevedepport's picture

I'm up for this ride.

Kevan Evans's picture

I'm in.  Think 'Cervelo' is playing out also.

danmon_81's picture

Its cracking the flags sunday! Now do i get the hairy pins out???!!

Kevan Evans's picture

Is'nt there some obscure rule that you can't wear leg warmers after Paris-Roubaix has started? wink

Matt Middleton - The Captain's picture

Pint after the ride any one? I will be going for a beer about 6.30pm on Sunday Evening if any wants to join me?

SNight's picture

Pint after that ride sounds spot on!
Kevan Evans's picture

Myself and a couple of riders from Southport will be leaving for the Shop from the 'Old Links' golf club @08:25  If any other riders from the Southport area what some company for the ride over, feel free to join us.

disco dan's picture

That the Roe lane one or the other near Knowlsey road?
Kevan Evans's picture

Roe Ln onto Moss Ln.  Then we head out over the moss and passing places.

stevedepport's picture

Great ride today by everyone and this is not going to be a Chinook full ride report, just a few comments.

1) Toughest ride over the climb of the Trough I have done due to that headwindangry, it is a tough climb but never that tough before.

2) I did not expect to hear "your fanny pack is open" on a club ride and hope we can all agree to ban any such comments in future.no

3) After being beasted by Rick all the way from Preston to Ormskirk, (owner of he said 'f****y p**k', which keeps his fags sweat free), I am just pleased he smokes which at least gives the rest of us a chancewink

Time for a lie downyes

modevrs130's picture

Thought i would update you all on how the captains ride lost 2 riders today..Garry Lyon's innertube had fell out of his pocket not long after Dave got his puncture.There was a few shouts to Gaz that it had fell out,at this time Gaz was in mid pack of the group.He then had to stop further down the hill in which i shouted mechanical to let you all know.He retrieved his innertube and then the group were gone,not to be seen.We carried on to catch you up but to no avail.Comparing maps on strava we had took 2 wrong turns,in the mean time dave caught us up and pointed us towards scorton (told dave to go ahead because there was no way we could keep up)..Me and gaz then decided to head home and then the group had caught us up in preston while i was fixing my puncture...I am not sure if the group had heard me with it being such a large group but we both where very disappointed.Anyway liverpool won and i am going to buy some beers for MOTD tonight...John Lynch.

Johndoy's picture

I agree with Steve about that being a very tough climb out of the Trough.  Certainly the hardest one I have done.  Looked down at my Garmin at one of the really steep bits and saw I was doing 4mph!!  I walk faster than that!  And apparently it is a walk in the park compared with the infamous Welsh cllimb scheduled for June.  Hurrah!

For anyone who's not done the Trough until today - well done.  5 and a half hours in the saddle with only one short stop, nearly 5000 feet of climbing and a tasty wind for much of the last 50 odd miles.  I reckon it's just over 87 miles from the shop to shop.  I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling a bit tired.

Motorolley's picture

Another great day in the saddle - I'm knackered! ;op

Gareth.

danmon_81's picture

great ride, some massive turns on the front from Gareth, Colin and Dave especially into the head wind!!! I'm glad i wasnt the only one to find the trough climb extra tough!

well dont to all the new lads!

dangerousdave's picture

A few facts about the ride

Distance 98 miles and time taken was 6 hours this includes the travel between skem and the shop

Average speed was 15.5 miles per hour ,but this was greatly effected by the strong wi nd in the trough were the speed had dropped to around 5miles per hour

Climb recorded was 5,632 feet and cals usec was 6,871 , this of course does not take in too account the meat pies which were consumed at the stop in Scorton

Roll on may 2 big rides to look forward Too

Cheers Dangerous

Post new comment