Skip directly to content
  • Harry Says “Just get on my wheel and you will be alright!”
  • Harry Says “Put in an extra loop down the coast road”
  • Harry Says “Ride your bike!”
  • Harry Says “Just a steady 2 to 3 hours”

NOTICE: User accounts and passwords

Due to a recent website update, you may experience issues logging into your user account. If you do, please try resetting your password

Website improvements are on the way. Please stay calm and patient. smiley

A/B Group: Flat Hill flirting and Bang 16/11/14

simonsaunders's picture
on Mon, 17/11/2014 - 20:45
Forums: 

By now, or at least those of you who were there, or those of you with Facebook/Twitter will have heard of Ralph's crash. I will recount the deatils as I know them later, it will save people getting confused with the detail.

Contrary to it's abrupt end, the ride started in fine fettle as about 14-16 riders left the shop, out through town heading towards Asmall lane.

The weather was fine, a hint of sunshine and the mildest of mist in the air as Myself and John Doyle led out the group round from Asmall towards Shepherds Lane, buut missing it out in favour of Dicconsons Lane and across the main road onto Green Lane- This road is a bit wrecked at best and trecherous at worse - so I'd advise avoiding it until next summer now. We carried on here down Pygons lane and back round to the Roundabout, slipping onto and across the A59 to find Butchers Lane and the road to the short Chainey route. Soon past here, we moved onto Hurst's Lane with new front riders and the Rainford TT route, heading fro Rainford itself and then Crank hill to The Red Cat. We headed down towards Shaley Brow, but then made a left and the drag back upto Pimbo for an ascent of Tower Hill. This led to minor splintering of the group as Gary Lyon had been spinning away at the front! We regrouped before heading down Bank Top and the up Appley Bridge to Dangerous Corner, where in turn John Jenkins, Craig and finally Brian vyed for the front, with Brian getting the spots I think. (Might have been Craig with Brian shepherding him). We then hung a left following Hall Road past the hospital to the Wiggo Garage and then down Mossey Hall Road. Chris was spinning the little ring on the front like Froomey as we powered down through Wrightinton and Heskin onto Croston. 

Somewhere around here we picked up Neil Pollington who was out for an hour by himself. He joined us at the front through Bretherton up to Tarleton, where he turned off to Banks.

I'd given the group the choice here, to continue down the dual carriageway to Southport and loop the coast road before heading home via New Cut road and Hallsall, but to a MAN they all voted for the A59 and the cafe. Democratic leadership again!

Things started sensibly down teh A59 with Mark Brownett holding a steady - and for him a granny ring spinning- tempo before the pace gradually started to rise. I can't rememvber who was first to jump; but I do recall 5 or 7 riders coming past me as they set the afterburners off in a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG run in to the cafe. Predictably they mostly went too early, and i certainly pulled them back in before John Jenkins, Gary Lyon, Brian and a couple of others sprinted the final uphill drag to the cafe turn.

Everyone else rolled in and coffe/cake/bcaon sandwiches were enjoyed outside with what was left of Matt's B group ride and Mark's B/C instructional ride. Wilco, Kevan and the others turned up not long after.

Refreshments taken we set off back via Hoscar moss to home. Just after the Owld Barn the group was riding in tight twos ( maybe 12 riders) with Ralph back at P4 or so. What looked liek an enormous lump of horse-shit was in the road, and was pointed out. Most avoided it, but I believe Ralph clipped it. It wasn't Horse shit, but a rock. This apparently threw his back wheel out in a fishtailing manner. Normally he'd have correted and carried on, but just at that time a car was overtaking us - not sure how close, or fast and clipped Ralph.

Everyone heard the bang. He got clattered

I turned to see Ralph on the bonnet and then up the windscreen.

As the car decelerated and moved to the other side of the road, Ralph rolled off the bonnet and onto the verge/kerb.

The rest of the story is known. 

A great response from the other riders, the atmosphere was calm. The driver and passanger horrified, but I think there was little that could have been done to avoid it. Gary made this clear- I assume he saw it from the back. Phone calls were made an the Air Ambulance was there within 10 mins, follwoed shortly after by a fast response paramedic, and ambulance and two police vehicles. 

Residents near the event brought out blankets to keep Ralph warm whilst aid attended.

It seemed much longer but my Gramin records the incident as lasting 45 mins before we were moving aagin. Ralph safely packed off to Southport AED.

A lot has been said on Strava and Facebook about the incident, but can I just thank everyone for remaining calm and helpful. No-one kicked off at the driver about anything, people helped and controlled the traffic and Dave Roe helped Ralph. As a club, people did the right things, the right way, the prime concern was Ralph and the driver and his passenger. They looked in bits too. Thank you everyone.

It was a sad end to what had been a really nice ride and I really hope nothing like that happens to any other cyclist, never mind another member of the club. It appears to have been a genuine accident but as I was on the inside 2nd row I couldn't say what happened behind me.

It appears ralph will be ok, certainly off his bike for a while and probably in a back brace- but i'm only going of what Charlie was posted on FB. He certainly wasn't expecting the phone call i made to him on Sunday!

Lets look after each other, ride safely and keep in twos. We're all vulnerable road users. It's not a battlefield but a shared environment.

Hope to catch up with Ralph when he's a bit better.

Anyway, next week someone else can lead the bloody ride.......

Strava Gubbins - http://www.strava.com/activities/219922514

Simon

Johndoy's picture

As to the incident, pretty much exactly as Simon writes it.  There were 10-12 of us in a nicely organised group, riding tightly two abreast.  I was at the back on the outside with Gary inside me.  Ralph was two in front and I saw him go down and hit the brakes to avoid him as the car came past.  I would say it was a legitimate overtake.  The road was clear for 200 metres or so and the car didn't seem particularly close.  Considering some of the terrible road behaviour we occasionally see, this was very unlucky and I felt sorry for the driver and passenger who were very shaken.

I think we all just did what we could.  We're a load of middle aged blokes and all of us have been in stressful situations before, though not many as worrying as this was initially.  Everyone was very calm and just saw what needed doing and got on.  Simon and David have been very modest about their contributions, but boy was I glad they were there and I'm sure the rest of the group felt the same.

I don't know about everyone else but the image of the crash has stayed with me since and it's not nice.  it brings home how vulnerable we all are.  It's not going to stop me cycling but it does bring home the need to be sensible and minimise risk.  Mark Hope (rightly) barked at me yesterday when my wheel was overlapping his on a descent and the need for good road etiquette is clear...but in these circumstances we were all riding sensibly and it still happened.  It's impossible to rationalise.

Wishing Ralph the speediest of recoveries.

John

Post new comment