Skip directly to content
  • Harry Says “Just get on my wheel and you will be alright!”
  • Harry Says “Put in an extra loop down the coast road”
  • Harry Says “Ride your bike!”
  • Harry Says “Just a steady 2 to 3 hours”

NOTICE: User accounts and passwords

Due to a recent website update, you may experience issues logging into your user account. If you do, please try resetting your password

Website improvements are on the way. Please stay calm and patient. smiley

Hell of Lancashire 2016

danmon_81's picture
on Fri, 04/03/2016 - 13:41

Sunday 20th March 2016..... Hell of Lancashire 2016!!! more info to follow.... HMCC's classics inspired ride!!!!.... Being Belgian not essential but it would help!

Hell of Lancashire 2016 - it's back....3rd year!!!

With the success of 2014 & 2015 HMCC classics ride I’ve decided we should do it again!!!

Sunday 3rd April 2016 (usual shop meet time)

- One group of hardcore classic HMCC riders (if large number we may split)

- You have to ride a road bike or cross bike....no mountain bikes

- The route will be around the lancashire 'Lanes' taking in gravel sections, cobbles, potholes, canal, trails, dirt roads etc

- There should be some new sectors in this years ride and of course a different route!

- It will probably be around 40miles all being well and good

- It will feel like more due to the terrain and will definitely be longer than your usual 40miler on good roads

- It important to note that you must be a strong, confident, competent rider due to the terrain...if you go in the canal clipped in i aint diving in after you or your bike

- I would suggest winter bikes but it’s up to you - don’t go blaming anyone but yourself if you rock up with your carbon framed, deep section, Di2 bike that ends up covered in shite!!

- It’s not a race, there may be chance to 'stretch your legs' at certain points but we all ride together and enjoy the challenge together!

p.s I'm not managing the numbers on this one, people just need to be aware that we won’t be taking the usual 'big' Sunday groups on this one....I'm sure there will be the usual tarmac'd Sunday ride happening alongside this!

I suggest that unless you have bolt on mud guards you remove them, they will rattle off! I'll be riding the winter steed which i don’t mind scuffing up.

I'll set up some segments on strava for the ride and some HoL2016 KOM's

a few things to consider:

- it’s not a race but on many of the 'off the beaten track' sectors it'll be better if people do their own thing and we re-group at the end, it easier to pick your line on your own. there will be a 'meet at the end/ top' call on these sections.

- people need to be aware that there might be some random/ unusual turns that aren’t main roads or even roads so please remain focussed....I’ll lead out wherever i can and be as guiding as i possibly can

- You will need more than the usual amount of inner tubes....you will likely puncture....also have a broom wagon on hand on speed dial just in case

- we are going to need to communicate well so that people hear the calls - if you have a mechanical or puncture shout loud, the group will pass the message up and WE WILL ALL STOP and wait as a group.

- Its a bit of fun, something a bit different, I’ve tried to pull together a route that includes a mix of terrain, its not mountain bike terrain and is manageable on Road bikes.

should be fun....I'll post on Facebook - Who's in??

Last years route!

2015 HoL Route - https://app.strava.com/routes/1480825

P.s. i think it might be a good idea if once we get back to Ormskirk we head straight down to La Cantina for a celebratory Belgian Beer!!!!!

danmon_81's picture

Pssible change of date for this - either 25th MArch (Good Friday) or 3rd April. keep you posted

danmon_81's picture

THIS IS NOW ON 3rd APRIL

danmon_81's picture

Hell of Lancashire 2014
Craig Sneddon
Dan Monaghan
Richard James Taylor
Simon Saunders
Charlie Critchley
Sean Griffin
David Jackson
Marktitchener Titchener
Jonathan Collins
Clay Conlon
Sam Wood
(some missing - cant remember, sorry)

Hell of Lancashire 2015 (the Golden year)
- Dan Monaghan
- John G John Lynch
- Howard Walker
- Craig Sneddon
- Mark Hope
- Marktitchener Titchener
- Carl Hammal
- Nick Lloyd
- Neil Pollington

Hell of Lancashire 2016
????

It's on like Spartacus! A few things to note....

- One group of hardcore classic HMCC riders (if large number we may split)

- You have to ride a road bike or cross bike....no mountain bikes

- The route will be around the Lancashire 'Lanes' taking in gravel sections, cobbles, potholes, canal, trails, dirt roads etc

- This year I’ve added in some new sectors

- It will probably be around 70km (47miles) all being well and good

- It will feel like more due to the terrain and will definitely be longer than your usual 45miler on good roads

- It important to note that you must be a strong, confident, competent rider due to the terrain

- I would suggest winter bikes but it’s up to you - don’t go blaming anyone but yourself if you rock up with your carbon framed, deep section, Di2 bike that ends up covered in shite!!

- It’s not a race, there may be chance to 'stretch your legs' at certain points but we all ride together and enjoy the challenge together!

p.s I'm not managing the numbers on this one, people just need to be aware that we won’t be taking the usual 'big' Sunday groups on this one....I'm sure there will be the usual tarmac'd Sunday ride happening alongside this!

I suggest that unless you have bolt on mud guards you remove them, they will rattle off! I'll be riding the winter steed which I don’t mind scuffing up.

I'll set up some segments on strava for the ride

a few things to consider:

- it’s not a race but on many of the 'off the beaten track' sectors it'll be better if people do their own thing and we re-group at the end, it easier to pick your line on your own. there will be a 'meet at the end/ top' call on these sections.

- people need to be aware that there might be some random/ unusual turns that aren’t main roads or even roads so please remain focussed....I’ll lead out wherever i can and be as guiding as i possibly can

- You will need more than the usual amount of inner tubes....you will likely puncture....also have a broom wagon on hand on speed dial just in case

- we are going to need to communicate well so that people hear the calls - if you have a mechanical or puncture shout loud, the group will pass the message up and WE WILL ALL STOP and wait as a group.

- Its a bit of fun, something a bit different, I’ve tried to pull together a route that includes a mix of terrain, its not mountain bike terrain and is manageable on Road bikes.

should be fun....

2016 Key Sectors:

Sector 1 - Maltkin Lane

Sector 2 - ??????

Sector 3 - ??????

Sector 4 -Elmers Green-Berg

Sector 5 - Muur Van Long Heyes

Sector 6 - Meadow Lane

Sector 7 - Eyes Lane

Sector 8 - Meanygate

Sector 9 - Mill Gate Lane-berg

RULES (points):

- Post beer (Belgian if possible) essential at La Cantina L39
- Bring a few quid for afterwards!
- If you bring less than 2 tubes I will assume you have a support car following

- Recovery drinks:
1 x Beer = 1pts
3+ beers = 5pts
5+ beers = 10pts

- Clothing:
Winter bibs = 2pts
Knee warmers = 5pts
Shorts = 10pts

- Weather:
bright sunshine, dry = 1pts
light drizzle = 3pts
Cross winds and Rain = 10pts

Finish:
DNS = minus 20pts
DNF = 5pts
Completed = 20pts

-20 to 0 points = you're no classic rider, stick to the summer, warm, dry, designed for easy days in the saddle ;-)
Rider = Pierre Roland, Sebastian Chavenel

0 to 10pts = Good effort, definitely got some classic rider blood in you!
Rider = Luke Rowe, Matteo Trentin, Peter Sagan

10 to 30pts = Now we're talking, official Hard man of the classics, now when's the next one, bring on the cobbles!
Rider = Niki Tepstra, Greg Van Averemat, Ian Stanard

30+ points = Legend of the Classics!!! Northern Hard man/ woman!!!
Rider = Fabian Cancellara, Tom Boonen

40+ points = Jon at La Cantina said you're welcome back anytime!! lol

All kidding aside, this is a great ride, with great people, great banter and will make you smile!!!

danmon_81's picture

Thoroughly enjoyable sunday morning in Hell (ish)!!!

12 of us head out from the shop on the 2016 HMCC Hell of Lancashire. With a mix of gravel, mud, cobbles, dogs, farmers wives, climbs, through and off and moustaches the ride went amazingly. One puncture, a front brake issue but nothing else, almost a '2015'! 

Everyone rode awesomely and very much desrved the frites and Ber at La Cantina afterwards!!!!

details:

47miles - 75.6km

3hrs

HMCC Classics men of North - Simon, Neil, Rick, Tom W, Nick, Craig S, Alan P, John C, Adam, Mark T, Mark B, Dan

approx 10 beer had

lots of Mayo and Frites

one puncture, one brake issue

3 cobbled sections

Well done all see you next year!

Post new comment