Skip directly to content
  • Harry Says “Just get on my wheel and you will be alright!”
  • Harry Says “Put in an extra loop down the coast road”
  • Harry Says “Ride your bike!”
  • Harry Says “Just a steady 2 to 3 hours”

NOTICE: User accounts and passwords

Due to a recent website update, you may experience issues logging into your user account. If you do, please try resetting your password

Website improvements are on the way. Please stay calm and patient. smiley

Club Trip 2014 - Bala

D N A's picture
on Sun, 02/03/2014 - 16:35

Just a quick post / reminder to people re the proposed club trip to Bala in May (I think!). Whilst out on the ride today, I was talking to a few people who seemed interested but wanted to know a few more details. Apart from knowing I've paid my deposit, we are staying in a bunkhouse somewhere out Bala way and the fact the rides, I'm sure, will involve some pain lol, I couldn't offer anymore info. Maybe we could have a re post of the original info to get more takers etc. Looking forward to it (good run out for the Wild wales Challenge!!) 

Tags: 
stevedepport's picture

I was intending leaving Lydiate mid-afternoon to get there by 4.00pm. I have space for two plus bikes. Let me know if there are any takers.

Alternatively, I can go with someone else if the timings work.

stevedepport's picture

Paul has paid his £50 at the shop, Jeff is welcome too, there is space. There will be 23 of us in total. Can you make sure the guys are aware of the rest of the arrangements and bring a sleeping bag.

I am sorted now for travel, I am with James an Andy D.

See you Fridaysmiley

disco dan's picture

Enigma Darren, I'll bite your hand off, thank you. 07446150443. Text me your number and we'll sort out the nitty gritty. Gareth, thanks very much for the offer, Darrens timing suits perfect.
Paul Moy's picture

Hi All

I am going to ride over to the Bunkhouse on Friday afternoon, leaving Liverpool on the Ferry at 12.30 if anyone is interested.

if you see an old man struggling up the climb when its getting dark, give me a lift!

If anyone fancies joining me let me know, hope to see you all there.

Paul

stevedepport's picture

If you end up sleeping in the bunkhouse you will need to bring a pillow or borrow one of soembody with a bedroom in the farmhouse.

stevedepport's picture

Friday - everyone arrived, meal at the Tavern with fantastic views, everyone sensible with minds on the next days big event, Bwlch y Groes.

Saturday - two groups, two routes, brilliant weather. Punctures, chain issues and the birth of a new forum id - welcome 'Tinker Taylor'. Two cafe stops, two epic climbs, Bwlch y Groes and the Hirnant. Everyone from the two groups got up the Bwlch, including the two guys who got out of their sick beds, Disco Dan & Formby Dave. Both lived up to meaning of rule#5. Did I say everyone got to the top of the Bwlch? I was wrong, one person never made it from the A group. The B group were led up by Sue, I think the expression is they were 'chicked'.

The cafe sprint to Bala was good, given that nobody knew where the cafe was!

Live music session back a the famhouse, athough Tinker failed to play the bass, his second fail of the day?wink

Dinner at the Tavern again then back to the farmhouse for a few drinks. Problems at the pub for anyone on Nokia thoughcheeky

Sunday - off to Bala, started at the cafe for a civilised coffee pre ride. Epic gated climb, Andy getting lost, or was that everyone else getting lost? My day for mechanicals, jammed/dropped chain and then a puncture. Back to Bala for the post ride cafe stop to complete a brilliant weekend.

An epic weekend, well worth the effort, if you missed it form a queue for next yearyes

Rick'Thepower'Taylor's picture

The Tinker Taylor really enjoyed this weekend. just wish i wasn't plagued with crank busting power. ha. mat at the shop says thats the first one to come back like that so i am either doing something right/wrong. either way it was glorious to say the least riding UP and Down them there hills. bit of an eye opener for the wild wales challenge which i am pretty sure i will definitely be going up the  Bwlch Y Groes. cheers every one !

disco dan's picture

I feel I owe a big thank you to all of you for helping me through the struggle, I was ready for going back to bed at the first cafe stop. You all gave me the motivation and the warning of rule#5 to battle on. By far the hardest two days on a bike I've ever had, made easier by you all so thanks again. It was a weekend that will live long in the memory for the right reasons, big achievements had by all and two great nights at the tavern. £50 for all of this should be the reason for instant bookings for next year, what a steal.
stevedepport's picture

Last year we had enough money in the kitty to make a donation to charity. This year I have decided to give a couple of guys their money back because they could not make it. (Remember, my trip, my rules, this is a travel dictatorship).

In total, after the extras for breakfast and a few drinks for our musical soiree, there is the grand total of £3.70 left in the kitty. I might just buy myself a pint with it while I hassle you all to pay up for the2015 edition!

D N A's picture

Steve D, just a thought? Do we need to try and coordinate a reserve list of hopefuls wanting to stay if anyone drops out or people hoping to head out for a ride on one of the days. May make things a little bit easier logistically. I'll stick it on the Facebook page as well just to see what the response is like.

I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me. (Wreck-It Ralph, 2012)

craig s's picture

I'm planning to drive down to Bala leaving Ormskirk Friday lunchtime (ish).  If the weather is good we might get a ride in the afternoon.  Have space for +2 with bikes and bags.  Happy to do pickups from Burscough/Skem/etc areas too.  Can carry bags for anyone planning to ride over (Paul Moy - who I passed in the street last week and only recognised 50 yards later)

Paul H's picture

Hi Craig,

if there are still places left in your car for the Bala trip can I have one please?

Paul H

D N A's picture

apologies Paul, Craig. I put my last update on the 2014 club trip post. You guys followed me. Let's all move on to the 2015 posting!!! But like me, Paul would like a list as well Craig. 

I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me. (Wreck-It Ralph, 2012)

Pages

Post new comment