Skip directly to content
  • Harry Says “Just get on my wheel and you will be alright!”
  • Harry Says “Put in an extra loop down the coast road”
  • Harry Says “Ride your bike!”
  • Harry Says “Just a steady 2 to 3 hours”

NOTICE: User accounts and passwords

Due to a recent website update, you may experience issues logging into your user account. If you do, please try resetting your password

Website improvements are on the way. Please stay calm and patient. smiley

Club Trip 2014 - Bala

D N A's picture
on Sun, 02/03/2014 - 16:35

Just a quick post / reminder to people re the proposed club trip to Bala in May (I think!). Whilst out on the ride today, I was talking to a few people who seemed interested but wanted to know a few more details. Apart from knowing I've paid my deposit, we are staying in a bunkhouse somewhere out Bala way and the fact the rides, I'm sure, will involve some pain lol, I couldn't offer anymore info. Maybe we could have a re post of the original info to get more takers etc. Looking forward to it (good run out for the Wild wales Challenge!!) 

Tags: 
Johndoy's picture

Steve,

Dropped money off at shop today.  Thanks for your patience.

John

stevedepport's picture

A total of 21 takers so far as follows -

Dave Atkinson, Dave Davies, Craig Sneddon, Les Greene, Sue Greene, Mark Titchenor, Kev White, Elliot Kirwan, Darren Prout, Steve Francis, Ian Gallagher, Mark Hope, Andy Disley, James Edge, Gareth Olley, John Doyle and me have all paid in full.Thank you very much.

Chris Holden, Disco Dan, Rick Taylor (to pay on the 15th) and Jonathon Collins all have places but need to pay up NOW!!!! £50 to my Paypal account steve.depport@blueyonder.co.uk or drop the cash at the shop this week.

The balance was due to have been paid 21st March so we are very late.

There are still spaces available, we can take up to 28.

buejcoll's picture

Steve I will drop the money off in the shop on Thursday. Going in to get new kit and casette anyway, so guaranteed.

disco dan's picture

Payment made via Paypal Steve, sorry for the delay.
stevedepport's picture

Thanks Dan, money received. Assuming Jonathon dropped the cash off at the shop that just leaves Chris Holden and Rick Taylor. Come on guys I need the money to pay the guy at the farmhouse.

I think we should have another taker in Steve Kernighan who has asked about spare places, which would get us to 22 takers. That means just 6 spaces left, who wants them?

disco dan's picture

If there is any spare spaces for me and the bike I'd gladly accept and contribute towards fuel.
stevedepport's picture

Dan, there are still spaces and one is yours as soon as you pay your £50. You can use Paypal steve.depport@blueyonder.co.uk or drop the money off at the shop.

That should make 23 takers, 5 more place left, have you gt yours?

stevedepport's picture

Sorry Dan, obviously done my head in today with gardening! You already had a place and have paid in full, you are looking for a lift.yes

disco dan's picture

Your forgiven Steve! Ha
stevedepport's picture

Still some people who owe money, Chris, Rick & Jonathon, that's you that is.no

I have had to pay the balance today, we were already a month late. So I am out of pocket!

Just in case everyone does not use the forum, can somebody put it onto facebook for me?

There are still spaces available too.

D N A's picture

Steve I've copied your post on to the Facebook page. Hopefully you'll get a response.

I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me. (Wreck-It Ralph, 2012)

Chris Holden's picture

Hi Steve,

Asuming its not too late i will make the full payment this evening. I have been away since last Wednesday so havent had access to the tinternet.

Apologies for the delay.

Chris

Chris Holden's picture

Full payment now made Steve. Sorry again for the delay!

disco dan's picture

The training alone for this alone is making me winse. Re-inforced bungee cord required.
stevedepport's picture

Chris, got your payment, thanks.

Rick'Thepower'Taylor's picture

Just sent the money over pal!

stevedepport's picture

Rick, got your payment, thanks.

Jonathon has just rung me and s we are nearly there.smiley

no worries ! hoping the weather is going to be kind to us, hopefully will have a nice crisp tan line by then any way :D

disco dan's picture

Putting a ball and chain on your ankle Ric!

extra training yay hahahah the 4 up TT is planned for the day before so i might... might not be feeling as strong on the hills if it all goes well! but im sure it will be good!

stevedepport's picture

Jonathon, I was just about to chae you but have seen the payment via Paypal. Thanks, you have your place.

Any more takers?

stevedepport's picture

I have now paid the balance on the trip. There are still some spaces left for anyone who wants one, first come first served.yes

Need to start thinking about routes soon. Two routes each day for an A and B group. On the Sunday I was thinking of putting the Bwlch y Groes on both routes. This was last years plan too but the weather put paid to that plan.

enigma darren's picture

Cheers for organising Steve.

Just on the routes, would it be worth trying to incorporate the Bwlch y Groes into Saturday's ride? Just thinking of what happened last year with the weather. Last year, on the Saturday, we rode regardless of the conditions, whereas on Sunday we were all a bit hesitant. Also thinking that peoples legs will be a lot fresher on the first day of riding. cool

Thoughts??

If it hurts me, it must hurt the other ones twice as much. ~ Jens Voigt 

stevedepport's picture

Open to other peoples views really. Can put the Bwlch in on the Saturday for both groups if that is what people want. Anyone got any views?

Not botheresd about what day we take on the pass. But like enigma darren says might be better on the saturday, gives people a chance to do it on "fresh legs" not really rode around these neck of the woods. so i cant really comment on what routes to take! Just Bring me Sunshine!:D
Motorolley's picture

So, some say Saturday and some say Sunday......why not do it on both days!? Ha! (Please don't, Steve!) ;o)

Gareth.

stevedepport's picture

Steve Kernaghan has now paid his £50 so is joining the rest of us.

I think we will put the Bwlch on both routes on the Saturday and find that flatter bit of Wales for Sunday.

Still some places left.

stevedepport's picture

I have mapped out a couple of routes for the Saturday, both including Bwlch y Groes. The first one would be for the A group, 73 miles, 8388ft climbing. Cafe stops at Machinations at  Llanbrynmair (28m) and Bala (55m).

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3859801.html

This route for the B group, 56 miles, 6551ft of climbing. Cafe stops at Merrion Mill just before Dinas Mawddwy (22m) and Bala (39m).

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3859803.html

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I will also look at a couple of routes for Sunday but they would need to start in Bala as we will have to clear out of the farmhouse. They will both be shorter, perhaps 35-40 miles so we can all go back for a nice roast dinner at home.

Motorolley's picture

Route looks good, Steve! Just in relation to me (and any others) coming down on the Saturday morning, I'm assuming that the starting point for this ride is not where we're staying, is that right? If so, what would the timings and suggested meeting place be? (I will have room for 2 bikes and bums in my car)

Gareth.

stevedepport's picture

The starting point for both Saturday routes is the Farmhouse/Bunkhouse where we are staying. It would be good to be ready to leave at 9.00 just like a regular club ride.

Motorolley's picture

Cheers Steve. I didn't realise it was that far away from Bala itself. I'll be aiming to get to you for 8ish on the Saturday morning so I'm not rushing and you're not waiting around.

Gareth.

disco dan's picture

Been trawling through some comments but can't find an answer. I see the trip starts on 20.06 Friday, What is this day for? I.E. do I need to book that day off work?
stevedepport's picture

Friday 20th is just the first night. We have the place from 4.00pm on the day and I will book spaces for dinner at Lake Vyrnwy for us all for 7.30pm. There are no other plans for the day, just travel over and settle in. I am not allocating rooms, other than for Les & Sue, so you can just claim your room or space in the bunkhouse when you arrive.

I would advise you to bring a sleeping bag, just in case you end up sharing a double room.

I will buy all the breakfast items and basics we will need, we will eat at the pub both nights.

Anyone got any spare room for my luggage. If weather's nice I might ride there.
buejcoll's picture

Count me in for the B ride Steve. Looks good.

craig s's picture

Rick, I'm looking to get there for tea on the Friday so happy to take your bags and have room for you/bike if you don't fancy the ride.  Space for one more if anyone short of transport

D N A's picture

Craig, can I catch a lift to Bala. I've text you as well, thanks. Dave

I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me. (Wreck-It Ralph, 2012)

Mark Hope's picture

Unfortunately, due to a lack of calendar coordination, Mrs. H has booked tickets to a school ball and I'm also expected to be dressed as a Harry Potter character for my son's school fayre on the Saturday. Yes, really.

Now I would normally accept 'under the thumb' comments only I'm off to France in July for a week's riding and will be upping my time on the bike beforehand too. I have to choose my battles.

@Steve - I've paid up in full. Don't suppose yu have people waiting in reserve do you to take my place?

stevedepport's picture

Mark, nobody in reserve, the trip is not full unfortunately.

If you dress up as a wizard can you not magically be in two places at once?

stevedepport's picture

Andy 'the Leach' Hardiman and Formby Dave will now be joining us on our Welsh extravaganza.

D N A's picture

Really looking forward to this. Whats the plan for Friday re meeting. Most people heading up after work etc or during the day??? Fingers crossed for good weather. It's Wales so it's going to rain. Plan for that and anything else is a bonus!!!!

stevedepport's picture

Arrival - we can check in from 4pm Friday 20th. Rooms are on a first come, first served basis. There are a few double beds so bring a sleeping bag to keep yourself pure. The only exceptions are two rooms that are pre-booked, the Master Bedroom Suite and the East Wing Bedroom.

Parking was a bit tight last year as so many people turned up alone. Car sharing helps or we might have to park some cars at the top of the lane.

Departure - we need to be out by 10am Sunday 22nd.

Meals - I will provide all the basics for breakfast, eggs, bacon, bread, tea, coffee, cereals, milk, bananas ( as in loads of),whatever else takes my fancy. I have booked the Tavern Bistro at Lake Vyrnwy hotel for 7.30pm both nights.

I have planned 3 route options for Saturday and two for Sunday, please load them onto your Garmins or whatever else you have. Both Sunday routes start and finish in Bala. It would be good to set off at 9am Saturday and be in Bala to set off 10/10.30am on Sunday.

Bwlch from Foel A, 74miles, 6,925ft - cafe stop at Machinations, Llanbrynmair (28m) then Bala (55m)

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3859801.html

Bwlch B 61miles, 6,219ft - cafe stop at Merrion Mill (just before Dinas Mawddwy 25m) then Bala (42m)

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3869846.html

Bwlch B 56m, 5,598ft - cafe stops as 61m route but at 22m and 39m

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3859803.html

Sunday Traws 40m, 3,578ft

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3861540.html

Sunday Traws 34m, 3,144ft

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_3861552.html

There are now 22 riders which means there are still a few spaces, let me know quickly if you want one.

Hopefully, my work here is now complete.

See you there.yes

http://www.lakevyrnwy.com/index.html

http://www.farmhouseinwales.com/

sound like its going to be a good little trip this. cant wait!

lets just hope the sun comes out! cool

Motorolley's picture

Right, having discussed with Mrs O, as a compromise and to save me having to get up at a sparrow's fart on Saturday morning, I will be travelling down to Bala on Friday evening leaving Ormskirk for around 8pm to arrive hopefully for 10ish. If anyone wants to jump a lift at this time rather than earlier, I'll have space for 2x bikes and 2x bums. Let me know on here - first come first served! ;o)

Gareth.

Johndoy's picture

Gareth,

If it still stands I'd like one of the co-pilot seats.  It would suit me better to leave later on Friday tbh and we should still be there in time for a few beers at the bunkhouse.

We can make arrangements on Tuesday or Thursday if you're out then.

John

disco dan's picture

I guess your staying both nights Gareth? I'm struggling to get their but more so for coming back after the ride on Saturday, I can't stay Saturday night see.
disco dan's picture

Right, after much deliberation at home, I can stay the whole weekend. Get in. My only problem is getting to and from. Amongst the fine people of HMCC can anyone help? My better half needs the car for organizing a party. Quite willing to contribute towards fuel.
Motorolley's picture

John, one seat is yours! Dan, you're more than welcome to join us if you still haven't got a lift organised? If I'm right, you're up in Southport, so all I would say is if you could get yourself to mine in Ormskirk for whatever time we arrange then that would save me another hour running around before we set off? Let me know either way in case somebody else wants the seat, but you've got half a cheek on it until I hear otherwise! ;o)

Gareth.

enigma darren's picture

Dan

I'm on half day Friday and am leaving from Formby at about 1.30. If it fits I have room for both you and your bike? yes Let me know.

Cheers

Darren 

If it hurts me, it must hurt the other ones twice as much. ~ Jens Voigt 

Pages

Post new comment